If you would like to submit to Joëlle Delbourgo Associates, Literary Management, send a query letter and SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to 101 Park St., Montclair, NJ 07042., or by email to email@example.com, or directed to a specific agent (see “About Us”). Be aware that email does sometimes get stuck in spam filters.
We do not read unsolicited manuscripts without first reading a query letter. If we would like to see more material, we will request it. We will respond to mailed queries with an SASE only. We may not respond to an email query. We do not return proposals or manuscripts. We do not open unsolicited attachments or click on links to read samples or other materials.
We receive hundreds of queries. Here are some pointers that will help your letter to receive our attention:
- Write a polished letter. Please read our guidelines for writing a query letter
- Address your letter to a specific agent at our agency (see “About Us”).
- Clearly identify the genre or category of your proposed book.
- Research your genre before querying
- Provide a brief overview of the proposed book.
- Tell us something about yourself, specifically about your qualifications to write your proposed book. We are also interested in why you decided to write the book. Let us know if you are a previously published author, and if so, what you have published.
- Let us know if you are sending your query to us exclusively or if this is a multiple submission.
- For nonfiction, let us know if a proposal and sample chapters are available. If not, you should probably wait to send your query when you have a completed proposal.
- For fiction and memoir, embed the FIRST 10 pages of manuscript into the e-mail after your query letter. Please no attachments. If we like your first pages, we may ask to see your synopsis and more manuscript. Both should be completed before you query us.
Some gently suggested don’ts:
- Do not send us a project in a genre that we do not handle (see below).
- Do not cold call us, unless you were referred to us by a client or colleague in the industry.
- Do not tell us that you are sending us our next bestseller.
- Do not ask us to make an exception for you.
- Do not send us gimmicks.
- Don’t query your manuscript until it is in final, polished form
You may submit the following to us: memoir, fiction, narrative nonfiction, business and career, psychology, parenting, health, popular culture, current events, history, science, biography, popular reference, young adult and middle grade fiction.
Do not send us: category romance, Westerns, science fiction, picture books.
For more detailed information, check our guidelines for writing a query letter.