Due to the coronavirus outbreak, WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING UNSOLICITED SUBMISSIONS AT THIS TIME. We are only accepting submissions by referral from a well-known source. We need to prioritize our existing clients, as well as our families and personal health. We will reevaluate the situation on June 1. Thank you for your understanding, and good luck!
To submit to Joëlle Delbourgo Associates Literary Agency, send a query letter only by email directed to a specific agent (see “About Us” and choose either Joelle, Jacqueline Flynn). Include the word “QUERY” in the subject line or it will not be directed to the submissions queue and will not be considered.
We do not read unsolicited manuscripts or books, click on links, respond to queries that don’t meet our guidelines, or return proposals or manuscripts, even if we requested them.
Due to the sheer volume of queries that we receive, we only respond selectively if we are interested in seeing more material. If you have not received a response in 60 days you may consider that a pass.
We receive hundreds of queries. Here are some pointers that will help your letter to receive our attention:
- Write a polished letter. Please read our guidelines for writing a query letter
- Address your letter to a specific agent at our agency (see “About Us”).
- Include the word QUERY in your subject line
- Clearly identify the genre or category of your proposed book.
- Provide a brief overview of the proposed book.
- Tell us something about yourself, specifically about your qualifications to write your proposed book and detailing your platform. We are also interested in why you decided to write the book. Let us know if you are a previously published author, and if so, what you have published.
- Is this query exclusive or are you querying other agents?
- If your book has been self-published, please provide detailed publication data including sales.
- Note if your manuscript has been submitted to editors or is currently under consideration at any publisher.
- For nonfiction, let us know if a proposal and sample chapters are available. If not, you should probably wait to send your query when you have a completed proposal.
- For fiction and memoir, embed the FIRST 10 pages of manuscript into the e-mail after your query letter. Please no attachments. If we like your first pages, we may ask to see your synopsis and more manuscript. Both should be completed before you query us.
- If we have requested a partial or full manuscript or a proposal, a gentle follow-up after 30 days is fine.
Some gently suggested don’ts:
- Do not address your query: “Dear Literary Agent” or send us what is a clearly a form letter.
- Do not query more than one agent at our agency.
- Do not send us a project in a genre that we do not handle (see below).
- Do not cold call us, unless you were referred to us by a client or colleague in the industry.
- Do not tell us that you are sending us our next bestseller.
- Do not ask us to make an exception for you.
- Do not send us gimmicks.
- Don’t query your manuscript until it is in final, polished form
- Do not ask us to return materials. We will not mail back your proposal or manuscript even if you provide postage.
- Please no queries via Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook or FB Messenger
You may submit the following to us:
Fiction: fantasy (Jacqueline only), middle-grade, mystery, new adult, science fiction (Jacqueline only), thriller, young adult, upscale and/or quality commercial women’s fiction.
Non-fiction; biography, business and career, current events, health, history, memoir, narrative nonfiction, parenting, popular reference, psychology, popular culture, science
Do not send us: category romance, Westerns, early reader and picture books, and/or screenplays. Please refrain from mailing us copies of your self-published books unless requested.